Friday, August 11, 2006

MN Fringe Blog: The Adventures of Gallant Lad

The Adventures of Gallant Lad
Saturday, August 5, 2006 at 4:33 PM
Filed under kids fringe

The Prince of Fun! Presents the Adventures of Gallant Lad is a sweet, sincere one-man show aimed at the 8 and under crowd. Creator and actor Craig Jackson Baker relies on just a tin foil hat and old-fashioned storytelling skills to create an imaginary kingdom filled with unique characters.

The show is at its best when Baker engages the children during the audience participation sections. This was no small feat because the audience was small-only four children and a smattering of adults. The Arena Stage's "theatre in the octagon" structure is not the ideal venue for such an intimate show. But Baker's skill at interacting with the audience kept all 4 children smiling for the whole show. It deserves a bigger audience.

This show would be a very good first show for a preschooler.

—Wendy Gennaula

EMAIL THIS POST

Recent Related Posts

Comments

Posted August 8, 2006 at 12:24 PM by Greg Abbott
I'd say this show should be advertised to be aimed at a preschool crowd (5 and younger). The storyteller needed puppets or props or something to help him out. It didn't capture the 6 and up crowd and made adults cringe. Example: During audience participation a kid raised his hand. When called on, he asked, "Are you the only guy in this show?" It was the question we were all asking about 2 minutes in. It really is a library storytime. For $10, it should have been much, much more.

Posted August 8, 2006 at 9:10 PM by Clint Jackson Baker (aka The Prince of Fun!)
It is perhaps a bit gauche to respond to a critique here, but the Internet does open up the opportunity for meaningful dialogue.

Yes, I don't use any props. That's my point. For one, the imagination is the most powerful prop of all, and I believe it doesn't get used enough. Additionally, I believe in eradicating economic boundaries as much as possible. I don't want kids begging their parents to buy something I'd use that they can't afford. This is also the main reason why I use a crown anyone can make at home, rather than a store-bought crown.

Yes, I'm the only actor in the show, and I've never advertised otherwise.

Yes, much of it is for preschoolers. It seems to me that a Fringe Festival should have something for everyone, and I like being able to provide something for families with preschoolers. To have more along this line available would be all the better.

No, I was not aware that similar programmes are presented in area libraries. I am from another part of the country originally, and such wasn't as much the case there. I'm grateful that there are so many opportunities in the Twin Cities, which is why I moved here. A few people have suggested that this would be a good route for me, and it is a route I'm considering. Your suggestion confirms this; thank you.

In the future, I may consider a brief synopsis of my philosophy in the programme. In the meantime, I'll prepare an FAQ section at my show blog, theprinceoffun.blogspot.com

Thank you for your critique. It has given me food for thought.

No comments: