Monday, March 03, 2008

Review: A Madman Dreams of Turing Machines

Review: A Madman Dreams of Turing Machines


This book is most unusual.

Its storytelling is quite minimal as it paints in fast brush strokes the story of two geniuses of the 20th century: Kurt Gödel and Alan Turing. Both men never truly fit into their world. Both men ended up committing suicide. Gödel suffered from paranoia and spent time in a sanatorium. Turing was gay and also would have probably been diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome today.

They each asked a great question of the 20th. Gödel asked if we can ever truly know for sure if something is truly true? (His answer was ‘no’.) Turing asked if humans were anything more than just complicated machines? (His answer was also ‘no’.)

This book explores the implications of such questions and answers in regards to God and faith. What I enjoyed most about this book was that it did not offer answers. The older I get the less interested I am in finding the “right” answers. I find myself much more interested in asking the “right” questions. I would recommend this book to anyone who shares a similar point of view.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice review! I especially liked your conclusion in terms of asking the right questions as opposed to looking for the "right" answers. I wrote up a review as well for this book on my blog and will include a link to yours as well:
http://www.yeahimageek.com/archives/40