Sunday, January 27, 2008

Philadelphia Electric Company Richmond Power Station

Urban Ruins can have some of the most beautiful landscape images that I know of. The first time I ever thought of something decaying as being beautiful was the first time I visited Venice. The whole place seems to be falling apart--but with such style.

But you don't have to go to Italy. You can find such things here. I recently happen upon some photos on the web. They were of a power station that was no longer in use. The first website I went to made a big deal out not disclosing the true location of the power station. (It seems likely that access to the site and the photos were not taken with approval of the "powers that be.")

Well, that got my curiosity going. After doing a bit of research on the web I found that the power station had been used as a location for the movie "12 monkeys". Using that info I quickly found that it was the Richmond Power Station in Philadelphia.

The place has been closed since 1985. But it was built at a time when technology "deserved" a proper setting. The remains of the building are still beautiful. All the more amazing when you think how few people actually ever saw the inside of it--I don't think it was meant in any way to be a public space.

The following is a Google Maps street picture of the site (which is not very impressive) followed by links to more information and better pictures.


View Larger Map


Philadelphia Buildings

Abandoned but not forgotten

Flickr group

Flickr picture

Opacity

Preservation PA

No comments: